Thursday, May 20, 2010

Crossing over north of 60

Early Monday morning I left NY for a two day visit to Calgary en route to Inuvik, NWT. In packing, I left all my "clothes that I wear so people will talk to me in NY" and packed all my "clothes that I love". Aka, my semi-fashionable clothes stayed behind and my super comfy clothes came with! During 1.5 days in Calgary I ate steak, walked around the entire downtown and along the river aaaand hiked in Banff!

My friend Trevor drove us to Johnston Canyon where we hiked along a gorgeous trail alongside a glacier river with a number of waterfalls. Trev had to keep encouraging me forward as I would whip out my camera at every turn: oooh, look at this! oh wow - click.

We rested at the top of the trail alongside the inkpots. The inkpots are pools of spring water that continuously bubble up from the ground. Some of the pools had active bubbles on the bottom where the water was coming up from the ground. The water was a beautiful turquoise with patches of bright green algae in places.

After a picnic and quick wade in the nearby glacial stream we headed back down the trail and into the town of Banff. Banff is every stereotype of Canada rolled into one. Rustic, outdoorsy, clean, polite, with beaver and moose carvings liberally sprinkled around.

Early Wednesday morning I flew from Calgary to Edmonton to Yellowknife. Upon disembarking in Yellowknife a man I had spoken to previously welcomed me "north of 60". I felt like I'd stepped onto a tv set - probably only Canadians will know why :) I re-embarked after surviving the chilly 1 Celsius weather and very nervous for Inuvik temperatures.

2pm. I stepped off the plane. Having spent the last 4 hours watching the landscape become barer, browner and icier I peered around seeking the town of Inuvik as we began our landing descent. I couldn't find it. Only as we soared over the town headed for the landing strip was I able to spot it. A tiny town with a few large streets and a few more small streets.

Kim and the boys welcomed me at the airport, Aaron is now 5, Jacob 3 and Ethan 1. Aaron remembered me, Jacob pretended to, and Ethan gave an adorable chubby grin. We drove straight to the school to catch the second half of the talent show, which Dave performed in towards the end. He and two other teachers performed "In the Jungle" with Dave even swinging on a rope in a singlet - a pretty awesome welcome to the frozen north!

No comments:

Post a Comment